Saturday 22 March 2008

Chill Me Not

What with Angus and Julia Stone (see 10 March) and Gabriella Cilmi, the Australians seem to be having a second coming. Cilmi sang the cover version of 'Echo Beach', for the ITV's new soap of the same name. I'm not quite sure about her though. She's cute, photogenic; Amy Winehouse with the edges sanded down. And 'Sweet About Me' is catchy as a cold and getting gasometers of airtime. It just all feels a bit packaged. Hearing the words 'sweet about me' for the sixtieth time, I begin to crave a less repetitive lyric.

Something like, "Pictures hanging in a hallway, or the fragment of a song; half-remembered names and faces, but to whom do they belong? When you knew that it was over were you suddenly aware that the autumn leaves were turning to the colour of her hair?"

Or maybe, "Let us be lovers; we'll marry our fortunes together - I've got some real estate here in my bag.' So we bought a pack of cigarettes and Mrs. Wagner's pies, and we walked off to look for America."

Or, "Did it take long to find me?" I asked the faithful light; "Did it take long to find me? And are you gonna stay the night?"

Sweet about me. Sweet about me, nothing's sweet about me. Sweet about me. Yeah. Doobydooby do.

No comments:

Post a Comment