Monday 15 October 2007

Funeral Songs

Currently the most requested funeral song is 'Goodbye My Lover' by James Blount. Also in the top ten are some old favourites, such as 'Wind beneath My Wings' and 'Candle in the Wind.' I'm not clear why wind is such a recurring theme.

Before the days when funeral anthems were de rigeur, My Great Uncle Geoff firmly insisted that 'D'ye ken John Peel' should be played as the final voluntary at his memorial service (as a keen steeplechaser who had ridden in the Military Gold Cup at Sandown and qualified to ride in the Grand National, he had every right to). It was a master stroke; the entire congregation left the church smiling broadly.

I don't know what I would want, if anything at all. 'It's my party'? 'Come on Baby, Light my Fire'? 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life'? As his funeral anthem (they choose them young now), Bob wants 'Wish You Were Here', by Incubus. Wish I'd thought of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment